How often should duct cleaning be performed?
To help increase efficiency and reduce energy bills, you should have your heating equipment inspected annually and your ducts cleaned every 3 to 4 years. However, if any of the following factors apply to you, we recommend having your ducts cleaned every 1-2 years:
- You live in a new construction site
- How much carpeting is in your home
- You live near a highway
- You recently have completed home renovations
- Home/lifestyle cleanliness
- Allergens (pollen, dust mites, animal dander, etc.)
Your personal preference to any of the above factors may mean you want to have your ducts cleaned on a yearly basis. When getting a quote, it is always best to ask what the cleaning process involves. This is very important when considering a Duct Cleaning Company.
What are the most common problems you see with homeowner's ducts?
- Home owners not changing furnace filter(s) on a regular basis
- Kids’ toys and various objects down the vents, blocking airflow
- Poor duct design (turns and bends in the ducting) which will reduce airflow in the home
- Debris left from renovations/construction
What can the average homeowner do to maintain the cleanliness of their ducts?
- Change the furnace filter(s) regularly
- Cover vents when doing renovations i.e. drywall & hardwood (sanding/cutting)
- Vacuuming /cleaning the house frequently
- Cleaning Ducts on a regular basis
What causes the ducts to become dirty?
- The indoor environment (ie. carpet, pets, dust, hair, etc.) and the outdoor environment coming in (dirt/mud on shoes etc.). This moves around your house and gets pulled through the return vents. Whatever your furnace filter(s) captures, it collects and what it does not trap gets circulated through the supply of the duct work and throughout the home. This cycle will repeat itself over and over
How do I know if or when my ducts are dirty?
- A good indication would be if your furnace filter(s) requires frequent replacement
- Visible dust accumulation on return vent grills
- The need to clean the dust in the home more often
What happens if homeowners do not clean their ducts?
- Possibility of poor airflow throughout the home
- Strain on the furnace as it must work harder
- Dirt throughout the home gets circulated and therefore causes more dust which creates a poor indoor environment
- Possibility of mold, spores and bacteria growing in ductwork